Re: Common input methods for IPA

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Thu Jul 11 2002 - 01:18:08 EDT

David Starner <starner at okstate dot edu> wrote:

> Is one big Unicode keyboard the best solution for IPA? Most
> IPA users only use a small subset - that which is needed for
> their languages. Why not remap your personal keyboard to that?
> I've personally remapped my notepad to the German/English
> pseudo-IPA I'm transcribing right now, and that's much more
> useful than any full keyboard could be.

The problem is, both Marc and I really were looking for one big keyboard
that would cover as much of IPA as possible *and* be relatively
standard.

> Does anyone have any idea on cross-platform keyboard maps?
> Can UniPad import Xmodmaps, or any foreign formats?

UniPad understands only its own keyboard file format. I'm reluctant to
call the format "proprietary," since it is XML, but I'm sure no other
application uses UniPad's XML schema.

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California