Re: chcp 10000 (was: Filesystems)

From: Shlomi Tal (shlompi@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Jul 13 2002 - 09:41:02 EDT

Markus Scherer wrote:

>Hi Shlomi, [sending to the list]
>
>The number 10000 in "chcp 10000" on Windows is, I assume, a "magic number".
>It switches the command prompt into 16-bit-Unicode mode (=UTF-16 encoding
>form).
>
>All I can say is that this works, and works at least since NT 4.

Not in my case, it doesn't - neither in Windows 2000 in the past, nor now in
XP. Definitely "chcp 10000" switches me to the Macintosh Roman charset.
Perhaps because I have all the codepage conversion tables installed. Look in
Regional Options, Advanced: 10000 is explicitly Mac-Roman.

I do manage to work in UTF-16 through the command line, though; not by
"chcp", but by launching the command line in UTF-16 mode: "cmd /u". (without
the "/u" it is in ANSI mode). Plus, UTF-8 is available by doing "chcp
65001".

Strange.

│ שלומי טל │
│ ♂♋ looking for ♀ of any sign │