Re: ISO/IEC 10646 versus Unicode

From: Marion Gunn (mgunn@egt.ie)
Date: Mon Jul 22 2002 - 11:15:37 EDT

Arsa Kenneth Whistler:

> Marion Gunn wrote:
> >
> > How many years does it take to get ISO/IEC work item accepted, then
> > develop the corresponding Standard to publication stage, Ken?
>
> In the case of 10646, approximately 10 years, Marion.

10 years? And Unicode, after eleven long years, has yet to produce the
promised Universal Character Set/Implementations of 10646. Any fool can
chuck missiles from the discarded rockheaps of history, but I do know
what my company understood itself to be investing in through many
expensive years of supporting Unicode. It was in the Universal Character
Set and 10646 Implemenations, which I still hope to see Unicode produce,
or at least a reasonable timetable offered. Does Unicode have a
reasonable timetable to offer?
mg

--
Marion Gunn * E G T (Estab.1991) vox: +353-1-2839396 * mgunn@egt.ie
27 Páirc an Fhéithlinn; Baile an Bhóthair; Contae Átha Cliath; Éire