Re: ISO/IEC 10646 versus Unicode

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Mon Jul 22 2002 - 14:26:03 EDT

At 16:15 +0100 2002-07-22, Marion Gunn wrote:
>Kenneth Whistler wrote:
> >
> > Marion Gunn wrote:
> > >
> > > How many years does it take to get ISO/IEC work item accepted, then
> > > develop the corresponding Standard to publication stage, Ken?
>>
> > In the case of 10646, approximately 10 years, Marion.
>
>10 years? And Unicode, after eleven long years, has yet to produce the
>promised Universal Character Set/Implementations of 10646.

It is absolutely astonishing to me that after all these years that
you don't know what it is that Unicode is meant to produce. Unicode
produces a character set standard, equivalent to the character set of
ISO/IEC 10646. Unicode also produces some other standards which guide
implementation.

The implementation is done by Apple, HP, IBM, JustSystem, Microsoft,
Oracle, SAP, Sun, Sybase, Unisys and many other companies.

If you wish to learn more, start at
http://www.unicode.org/unicode/standard/WhatIsUnicode.html. You may
also be interested to see how many products are Unicode-enabled. See
http://www.unicode.org/unicode/onlinedat/products.html.

>Any fool can chuck missiles from the discarded rockheaps of history,

Truer words were never spoken.

>but I do know what my company understood itself to be investing in
>through many expensive years of supporting Unicode.

I don't know what you were understanding during the period at which
"EGT" was "investing" in travel to ISO and CEN meetings, but I
understood it perfectly well. I would prefer it very much if you
would not speak for me with regard to that time period on this or
other lists.

>It was in the Universal Character Set and 10646 Implemenations,
>which I still hope to see Unicode produce, or at least a reasonable
>timetable offered. Does Unicode have a reasonable timetable to offer?

I wonder how many characters I actually helped encode so far? It must
be approaching four and a half thousand.

--
Michael Everson *** Everson Typography *** http://www.evertype.com