Re: Tamil Text Messaging in Mobile Phones

From: James Kass (jameskass@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Fri Jul 26 2002 - 01:29:53 EDT

Doug Ewell wrote (2002-07-22),

> > Text messaging in Tamil on Mobile phones. Would they only work with my
> > proposed reformed Tamil characters?
>
> Unicode is not the place to propose reforms in scripts or orthography.

In fairness, the bit about the reform proposal seems to have been
more of an aside than a direct appeal..

> Your proposed characters must first achieve popular usage before they
> will be encoded.

Isn't this kind of a Catch-22 for anyone contemplating script reform?
Do we discourage people from altering their own scripts? Should we?
It is suggested that scripts can be "alive" in the same sense that
languages are "alive"; changes (which are part of life) just occur
much more slowly in scripts.

Best regards,

James Kass.