Re: God's and devil's details (was: Re: Unicode certification - quote correction and attribution)

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Sat Jul 27 2002 - 01:59:43 EDT

Kenneth Whistler <kenw at sybase dot com> wrote:

> And the Word Court rules:
>
> http://www.theatlantic.com/issues/2000/01/001wordcourt.htm
>
> And since I'd rather be associated with the likes of Einstein,
> Flaubert, and van der Rohe than Nitze, Reagan, and Perot, maybe
> I'll shift back to "God is in the details".

Of course, you can use this expression either way, depending on the
details in question.

If you want to marvel at the beautiful contours of a fjord or the
delicate intricacy of a seashell, you can sigh, "God is in the details."

If you are baffled or bewildered over a complex problem, such as
troubleshooting a network, you can mutter, "The devil is in the
details."

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California