Re: quotation marks in European languages

From: Anto'nio Martins-Tuva'lkin (antonio@tuvalkin.web.pt)
Date: Sat Jul 27 2002 - 15:17:52 EDT

On 2002.07.26, 16:19, Peter_Constable@sil.org <Peter_Constable@sil.org>
wrote:

> Esperanto: free, usually according to the local rules of the publisher

Free indeed, or at least not fixed, but I wouldn't say it is made
according to the local rules; in esperanto is quite common an inner
"need" to overcome parochial convention in favour of a percepted
international standard (wich may though vary locally). Appologies for
being non-informative...

> Portuguese: high-6 high-9

Not at all. Though there is no fixed norm (portuguese journalists and
typesetters are all but analphabet), high-6 and high-9 are the lest used
to enclose quotes,
   << ... >>,
   high-66 ... high-99 and
   double prime ... double prime
being much more often.

I personally use (in both languages above) << ... >> for quotes and
high-66 ... high-99 for emphasis (mispronouced words, semantic irony,
etc), reserving double prime ... double prime for “mathematical” quotes
(reference to the name of the thing instead to the thing itself) -- and
I was never frown upon for it, on the contrary. Perhaps any rule is
better than no rule...?

P.S.: in Eastern European it's often to see nested pairs of slashes "/"
playing the role of "(" and ")". This this was due to the use of soviet
made typewriters and is being abbandoned, I wonder -- should this be
considered by Unicode in any way? (optional pair nesting in U+002F...?)

-- ____.
António MARTINS-Tuválkin | ()|
<antonio@tuvalkin.web.pt> |####|
R. Laureano de Oliveira, 64 r/c esq. |
PT-1885-050 MOSCAVIDE (LRS) Não me invejo de quem tem |
+351 917 511 549 carros, parelhas e montes |
http://www.tuvalkin.web.pt/bandeira/ só me invejo de quem bebe |
http://pagina.de/bandeiras/ a água em todas as fontes |