Re: REALLY *not* Tamil - changing scripts (long)

From: Jungshik Shin (jshin@mailaps.org)
Date: Sat Jul 27 2002 - 21:52:25 EDT

On Sat, 27 Jul 2002, David Starner wrote:

> At 08:46 PM 7/26/02 -0700, Addison Phillips [wM] wrote:
> >That does leave you with the must less happy problem of finding a platform
> >with user defined locales (approximately no platforms conveniently do this).

> What's wrong with Linux's user defined locales? I attach one

  s/Linux/Single Unix Spec. compliant OS/ :-)

BTW, the keyword in Addison's message may have been 'conveniently'.

> in actual use; while the format isn't the clearest and simplest
> in the world, any computer geek could fix you up a new locale
> given a few hours.

 For some locales, tayloring LC_COLLATE may be a bit too hard to finish
in a few hours unless you're already familiar with all the subtleties
of ISO/IEC 14651 (and possibly UCA as well.) For instance, see N891R
of ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22/WG20.

> You could write a nice GUI program to simplify
> the matter, but it's not something that many users are interested
> about, especially given Unix's flexibilty at mixing features from
> different locales.

  I can't agree with you more here. Actually I wrote almost exactly
the same back in March
(http://www.unicode.org/mail-arch/unicode-ml/2002-m03/0033.html :
 username : unicode-ml, password: unicode )

  Jungshik Shin