Re: Tamil Text Messaging in Mobile Phones

From: Sinnathurai Srivas (avarangal@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Jul 29 2002 - 06:13:34 EDT

Dear D Ewell,

Again let me point out that the discussions on the pros and cons of script
reform are conducted at other forums. To disccuss this issue, regarding
Tamil, you lack information.

The other point we must remember here at Unicode is that The reform is not
done because the computers warrent it, the reform is done for other reasons
and the fallout is the one that the computer technology receives. Hence, the
discussions should fall within this speck. Otherwise it will be meaningless.

Now to discuss Unicode issues:

I'm a great fan of Unicode. So what ever I write about Unicode is not
bashing.

Unicode for computers is not available to the masses yet. This is because it
is hard to implement, especially the Indic variety.

We been fighting for 8bit for over 15 years, just because Unicode is not
properly working, it's not because we do not want Unicode. Unicode is still
at it's infancy.

We need XP and the h/w to hopefully have it working perfectly.

Having considered the above, my estimate is (this is a figure plugged out of
the sky) it will take 15 years for mobilephones to support rendering of all
languages simultaniously.

Now let me