Re: Unicode Arabic Rendering Problem

From: Mete Kural (metekural@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Mar 04 2003 - 12:57:06 EST

    Yes it makes a difference in the prononciation. In
    figure 3 below there is actually a stand-alone hamza
    inbetween alef and lam. So you have to extend the alef
    and say "aa" instead of just "a".

     \ /
      \/
      /\
      \/

    It seems that the problem has been resolved thanks to
    the helps of Paul Nelson of Microsoft, you and others
    who helped. This seems to be a rendering specific to
    the Quran. Therefore a special font that is meant to
    handle Quranic calligraphy needs to be used. This one
    here may be a pretty good one:
    http://www.diwan.com/mishafi/main.htm

    In modern day Arabic they render this LAM HAMZA ALEF
    combination as in the attached image.

    You can see the result on QuranReader.org once we
    finish it. Thank for all your help.

    Mete

    --- Yung-Fong Tang <ftang@netscape.com> wrote:

    > Guess I am not the right peson to answer that. put
    > it back to
    > unicode.org mailling list.
    > Let me ask you this way. Is this a rendering style
    > issue? or is it a
    > different way to combine characers?
    > How you pronounce the following 3?
    > Is there different pronouncation between 1 and 3?
    > Is there different pronouncation between 2 and 3?
    >

    > The answer of the two questions above may tell us it
    > is a encoding issue
    > or a presentation (glyph variant) issue.
    > > This is a unique spelling that is commonly found
    > in the Quran.
    > Is that spelling also found in text OTHER than the
    > Quran?
    >

    > Mete Kural wrote:
    >
    > >Hello Yung-Fong,
    > >
    > >Thank you very much for all the information. It was
    > >very helpful. I'm still not clear about something
    > >though. As far as I understand, the block of
    > >characters
    > >U+0644-U+0654-U+0627 would be rendered as such:

    > > \ /
    > > \/
    > > /\
    > > \/
    > >
    > >U+0644-U+0627-U+0654 would be rendered:

    > > \ /
    > > \/
    > > /\
    > > \/
    > >
    > >So how would you encode this rendering?

    > > \ /
    > > \/
    > > /\
    > > \/
    > >
    > >in which the hamza is neither directly above the
    > alef,
    > >nor directly above the lam, but it's in between the
    > >alef and lam. This is a unique spelling that is
    > >commonly found in the Quran.
    > >
    > >Thank you very much for the help.
    > >
    > >Mete
    > >
    > >--- Yung-Fong Tang <ftang@netscape.com> wrote: