Re: Caron / Hacek?

From: John Cowan (cowan@mercury.ccil.org)
Date: Fri Mar 07 2003 - 06:57:07 EST

    Pim Blokland scripsit:

    > Now I must admit, I haven't come across many texts which used Ts with
    > cedillas. Not in printed form, that is; the only ones I have seen were in
    > electronic form, where their appearance depends on the font used.

    T with cedilla should never have existed. When s with comma and s with
    cedilla were (falsely) unified in ISO 8859 in favor of the latter, the
    t with comma was also replaced by a t with cedilla, something not used by
    any language. These two were then copied into Unicode as-is. When
    the false unification was broken, t with comma was added for the first
    time; t with cedilla is now useless but must be kept for stability reasons.

    --
    John Cowan           http://www.ccil.org/~cowan              cowan@ccil.org
    To say that Bilbo's breath was taken away is no description at all.  There