Re: Ligatures (was: FAQ entry)

From: Pim Blokland (pblokland@planet.nl)
Date: Mon Mar 10 2003 - 14:53:36 EST

    John Hudson schreef:

    > Collision of any letter with an accent mark on a preceding
    > or following letter is simply a mistake, and should be corrected
    > by letterspacing (positive kerning).

    I agree with you; on the one hand, the examples mentioned like få
    and fè and so on don't look very nice as is and could use a little
    correction; but they would benefit more from adding a pixel or so of
    extra space than from merging the fs and the accent marks together.
    Then again, wouldn't the same apply to the fi ligature? After all,
    the i is an accented letter too, isn't it? I mean, the dot is an
    accent mark, allowing the i to be decomposed into U+0131 and U+0307.

    Pim Blokland