Re: Ligatures (was: FAQ entry)

From: John Cowan (cowan@mercury.ccil.org)
Date: Tue Mar 11 2003 - 06:17:17 EST

    Kent Karlsson scripsit:

    > They should NOT be tweaked apart by kerning. That would destroy the normal
    > spacing of glyphs within words. "Adding" or "removing" an accent should
    > NOT change the spacing between letters.

    I don't see how that's possible in the general case. In particular, ï
    just about has to be wider than i (except in a monowidth font, obviously),
    or the dots will collide with whatever's nearby. Similarly with i-macron.

    --
    John Cowan           http://www.ccil.org/~cowan              cowan@ccil.org
    To say that Bilbo's breath was taken away is no description at all.  There