Re: Ligatures fj etc (from Re: Ligatures (qj) )

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Wed Mar 12 2003 - 20:24:36 EST

    William Overington wrote:

    > > I have added a new code recently, which is U+E700 STAFF which is a vertical
    > > line from the very top of the glyph and going as far below the 0 line
    > as one
    > > chooses for a particular font. With Quest text I encoded this character
    > > early with a line going vertically from -768 font units to 2048 font units.

    And the purpose of this is? As James Kass points out, why not use U+2502?

    There are technical reasons involving the VDMX table why one might put a
    full-height glyph in a TrueType font, but typically one doesn't want this
    glyph to be encoded since its only purpose is to prevent random scaling
    interpolation.

    John Hudson

    Tiro Typeworks www.tiro.com
    Vancouver, BC tiro@tiro.com

    It is necessary that by all means and cunning,
    the cursed owners of books should be persuaded
    to make them available to us, either by argument
    or by force. - Michael Apostolis, 1467