Re: Need encoding conversion routines

From: jameskass@worldnet.att.net
Date: Fri Mar 14 2003 - 06:08:06 EST

    .
    Pim Blokland wrote in response to "K.",

    > > another. (UTF8 to UTF16 etc.) But how can I convert from a
    > > unicode code-point to some encoding and decode from some
    > > encoding to unicode code-point? In brief, I want encoding
    > > and decoding functions for Unicode.
    >
    > What is "some encoding"? You mean codepage-based 8-bit character
    > sets?
    > I once wrote a conversion routine, under Windows, that can convert
    > from UCS-2 to any codepage Windows supports and back, by using the
    > info in the appropriate *.nls files.
    > If this is what you want, and you can't find it elsewhere, I can
    > upload those routines somewhere if you like.

    One method of doing this is to simply make the source file as HTML,
    open it in the Internet Explorer browser with the [View] - [Encoding]
    set to the appropriate encoding, and then [File] - [Save As]
    "Unicode (UTF-8)". That's pretty painless.

    In fact, [File] - [Save As] "User Defined" will even save the
    page using Unicode NCRs rather than UTF-8.

    It should work both ways, but, when saving from Unicode to any
    older code page, any material not covered by the older code
    page would be lost.

    Best regards,

    James Kass
    .