Re: Unicode 4.0 chapter headings and numbering.

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Fri Mar 14 2003 - 14:11:57 EST

    William Overington asked:

    > I wonder if you could please say whether the Unicode 4.0 book will have the
    > same chapter headings and numbering as the Unicode 3.0 book?

    They will be largely similar -- and identical for Chapters 1 through
    5 -- but there are various reorganizations in the latter part
    of the book, to account for all the additions to the standard.

    > I would like
    > simply to refer readers to Chapter 9 South and Southeast Asian Scripts of
    > the Unicode Standard at the http://www.unicode.org webspace.

    For Unicode 4.0:

    Chapter 9: South Asian Scripts
    Chapter 10: Southeast Asian Scripts

    > Also, if unchanged, is that a matter of continuing stability for future
    > issues as well, or is it just for Unicode 4.0 please?

    For book references, you can expect changes in the future as
    well. There are no guarantees, from version to version, of the
    exact contents and scope of each chapter in the book. For
    people who want stability of references, you should simply
    point to the standard as a whole, or make references such
    as "See the discussion of the Devanagari script in the
    Unicode Standard, online at ..." Then let your readers navigate
    the online version, via its Table of Contents and/or Index,
    to find the section they are interested in.

    --Ken