Re: Re. and Rs. currency sign

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Tue Mar 18 2003 - 20:15:18 EST

    Stefan wrote:

    > Kenneth Whistler wrote:
    >
    > >"DM" was widely used for Deutschmarks, "dkr" for Danish kroner,
    > > and so on before the switch to euros, for example.
    > >
    > I've only seen Danish kroner abbreviated as "kr" or "DKK," never as
    > "dkr." "kr" is the most common abbreviation in Denmark today; "DKK" is
    > mostly used to distinguishing Danish kroner from Norwegian kroner and
    > Swedish kronor, all of which are also abbreviated "kr."

    O.k., o.k., I should have added "in Germany".

    In Denmark, Danish kroner are abbreviated "kr." or "Kr."

    But if you pick up a pre-euro edition of the Frankfurter Allgemeine,
    you can find the price listing on the front page, to wit:

    Belgien 60 bfrs/Dänemark 14 dkr/Finnl. 10 Fmk/Frankr. 11 F/...
                                ^^^

    Der Spiegel (1991):

    Côte d'Ivoire F.C.F.A. 1690,--
    Dänemark dkr 21,50
    Finnland Fmk 21,00

    This kind of language-specific differentiation in the Latin
    abbreviations used for currency signs is another reason why
    it is generally better to simply spell these things out as
    abbreviations using Latin letters, rather than trying to
    create currency symbols for them all.

    Currency symbols should be just for those clear symbols which
    *cannot* be represented by sequences of existing letters.

    --Ken