Re: Re. and Rs. currency sign

From: David Starner (dvdeug@fullnet.net)
Date: Tue Mar 18 2003 - 20:46:11 EST

    On Tue, Mar 18, 2003 at 10:45:43PM -0000, Andy White wrote:
    > I think that Lateef had a good question. If it can be shown that the Re
    > sign is often depicted as a single ligature glyph, then I would say,
    > yes, it is a candidate for inclusion as a separate currency sign.
    >
    > Andy
    >
    > Kenneth Whistler said:
    > > Lateef Sagar Shaikh asked:
    > >
    > > > For Rupees Rs. sign is used, and for Rupee Re. sign is
    > > > used, where as in Unicode only onle code point is
    > > > present for Rs. Shouldn't there be a separate place
    > > > for Re. as well?

    And the answer was basically, Rs. shouldn't have been encoded,
    and that if they encoded Re., then they would need to encode DM
    and a bunch of other currency units too, which they have no
    plans of doing so.

    --
    David Starner - dvdeug@email.ro
    Einstein once said that it would be hard to teach in a co-ed college since