Re: Custom fonts

From: David Starner (dvdeug@fullnet.net)
Date: Wed Mar 19 2003 - 20:47:03 EST

    On Wed, Mar 19, 2003 at 07:38:42PM -0500, Jungshik Shin wrote:
    > It's not only excessive but also does not work at all for text-mode
    > browsers (including browsers with speech synthesizer for the blind)
    > that have no need for / interest in the internal structure of a font.
    > Your scheme is going against the stream of separating the content from
    > the presentation.

    His scheme is a solution for a problem that is very hard to solve for
    text-mode browsers. If you need to use a character not encoded in Unicode,
    there are no solutions that will let a text-mode browser work well. The
    normal solution of just specifing font face is hopeless. If you use
    pictures, then the text-browser can read the names, but the graphical
    browser can't resize the glyphs. If you use Pim's system, then the
    program could read the names of the glyphs - not great, but arguably the
    best of any solution given. I think the sad reality is, no matter how
    you cut it, text-mode browsers are going to be locked out of anything
    but a few scripts - xterm can only handle stuff that fits in its fixed
    width range, and I'd suspect a speech synthesizer would handle a couple
    languages at most; whether or not the Tengwar is properly encoded in
    Unicode will be irrelevant.

    --
    David Starner - dvdeug@email.ro
    Einstein once said that it would be hard to teach in a co-ed college since