RE: Accented IJ

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Thu May 01 2003 - 16:02:31 EDT

    Kent,

    > So the lowercase ij-ligature should have the Soft_Dotted
    > property (as should all the math styled lowercase i's and j's
    > in plane 1). (Ken: please "salt away safely" for 4.1 ;-)

    When clear and evident errors are pointed out in data
    files that are final, I "salt them away" with fixes
    as preliminary versions of 4.0.1 (or 4.1, depending)
    data files, which will eventually be reviewed by the UTC
    for approval for the next release(s).

    This doesn't fall into that category. It is a matter of
    interpretation, typography, and argumentation about the
    status of the IJ characters. Anything like that which
    involves a change in a data file has to be taken up
    *explicitly* by the UTC in terms of a proposal for
    discussion and decision. It has to be driven by a
    proposal and argued by the proposer, and is not something
    to just "salt away".

    --Ken