Re: Displaying unicode in browser

From: William Overington (WOverington@ngo.globalnet.co.uk)
Date: Fri May 02 2003 - 03:57:07 EDT

    In the source code of the HTML file which the browser views, the way to
    express a Unicode character in general is to use an ampersand followed by a
    NUMBER SIGN character followed by the number as a base 10 integer (that is,
    an ordinary, non-hexadecimal number) followed by a semicolon.

    The NUMBER SIGN character is also known as a hash and as an octothorpe.

    Some characters can be recognized by a browser by using a special name such
    as aacute; for the a acute character which you mention.

    I am attaching a small HTML file to demonstrate these matters.

    There is a way to use a hexadecimal number directly, by placing a letter x
    after the NUMBER SIGN and before the number, which is then a hexadecimal
    number, but that not all browsers will accept that format, so perhaps
    converting the hexadecimal numbers to decimal is best. An easy way to
    convert from hexadecimal to decimal on a PC is by using the Microsoft
    calculator in View | Scientific mode.

    William Overington