U+006E U+0308 spotted in the wild

From: Anto'nio Martins-Tuva'lkin (antonio@tuvalkin.web.pt)
Date: Fri May 02 2003 - 13:47:04 EDT

    Last week I saw on TV (portuguese channel RTP2) a typo in the subtitles
    of an US movie; a spanish word in the original was kept in the
    translation, rendered with a n-diaeresis in lieu of a n-tilde.

    AFAIK, there is no such pre-composed sequence, which can only be
    rendered in Unicode as U+006E U+0308.

    That made me think how could such letter appear on my TV screen.

    1. Could the system used for the subtitles have a code point for
    n-diaeresis (selected by mistake instead of the correct letter)? I
    suppose it shouldn't be so, as a compatibility character covering it in
    Unicode would be expected.

    2. The subtitles were created with a system capable of composing
    n-diaeresis (which is a good thing) and which apparently accepts
    easy-to-use keyboard input (allowing even typos -- which were common in
    typewriter days but which computer had extinguished).

    Any ideas?

    -- ____.
    António MARTINS-Tuválkin | ()|
    <antonio@tuvalkin.web.pt> |####|
    R. Laureano de Oliveira, 64 r/c esq. |
    PT-1885-050 MOSCAVIDE (LRS) Não me invejo de quem tem |
    +351 917 511 459 carros, parelhas e montes |
    http://www.tuvalkin.web.pt/bandeira/ só me invejo de quem bebe |
    http://pagina.de/bandeiras/ a água em todas as fontes |