RE: U+006E U+0308 spotted in the wild

From: Marco Cimarosti (marco.cimarosti@essetre.it)
Date: Mon May 05 2003 - 06:35:18 EDT

    António Martins-Tuválkin wrote:
    > Last week I saw on TV (portuguese channel RTP2) a typo in the
    > subtitles of an US movie; a spanish word in the original was
    > kept in the translation, rendered with a n-diaeresis in lieu
    > of a n-tilde.

    In old DOS days, I remember having seen Portuguese written with <ä> and <ö>
    in place of <ã> and <õ>. That was because DOS code page 437 lacked <ã> and
    <õ> and, at low resolutions, dieresis and tilde looked quite similar to each
    other.

    My guess is that some misinformed designer of TV titling devices for the
    Portuguese marked assumed that <¨> was a valid glyph variant for <~>, being
    used to old DOS software, and drawn all tildes in the device's font as <¨>,
    including the one on <ñ>.

    Then, probably, someone complained about the odd shape of <ã> and <õ>, so
    they got fixed. But no one complained loud enough for <ñ>, because that not
    commonly seen in Portuguese, so it remained wrong.

    _ Marco