Re: Transcribing old documents into Unicode compatible document files.

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Sat May 03 2003 - 14:29:43 EDT

    At 05:12 AM 5/3/2003, William Overington wrote:

    >I have in mind the possibility that someone could transcribe a written
    >document or a printed document. I am wondering about what happens when
    >someone transcribing a document finds a character which is both not in
    >regular Unicode and not in any Private Use Area encoding which he or she may
    >be using. Certainly, later, the person could sit down and think about the
    >newly found character and decide to devise a new character or otherwise as
    >he or she thinks fit, perhaps after discussion with other people. However,
    >at the time, perhaps using a lap top portable computer in a library setting
    >the person has to find a solution promptly.

    1. Pick up pencil or pen.
    2. Draw new character glyph in notebook.
    3. Write notation beside it, e.g. = @@
    4. Proceed with computer transcription, using @@ whenever this character
    occurs.
    5. Go home, research, consider, update font.
    6. Open transcription and replace every occurence of @@ in text with new
    character.

    John Hudson

    Tiro Typeworks www.tiro.com
    Vancouver, BC tiro@tiro.com

    As for the technique of trimming the nib,
    Do not be greedy!
    I will not reveal its nuances; I withhold its secrets.
                       - Ibn al-Bawwab, Ra'iyyah