Re: visible glyphs for U+2062 and similar characters

From: Jungshik Shin (jshin@mailaps.org)
Date: Fri May 09 2003 - 09:42:22 EDT

    On Fri, 9 May 2003, Michael (michka) Kaplan wrote:

    > From: "Jungshik Shin" <jshin@mailaps.org>
    >
    > > (3) Is there any way (IF it's allowed) to express the authorial intent
    > > to render U+2062-like characters with visible glyphs?
    >
    > It is impossible to say what the intent might be, but lets consider the
    > following examples:

       good examples snipped...

    > In each of the above cases, it makes sense to have a special font produce a
    > visible representation for these code points. The intent of each of these
    > cases is slightly different, of course; I am sure one could think of other
    > such "specialty" cases.

      What you listed above pretty much covers what I had in mind. Anyway,
    it just occurred to me that we may make opentype GSUB feature for turning
    the invisible to the visible (unless there's one already) that is OFF
    by default (i.e. the nominal glyphs for them are invisible or very thin
    space). That way, ordinary programs (without special need) can
    render them invisible (or very thin space as font developers see fit)
    while specialty programs like character pickers or typesetting / word
    processing programs, MathML editors or (La)TeX/Omega/Lambda front-end
    (e.g. Scientific Word, Lyx or typical TeX shell such as WinEdit) can
    turn on the feature and show them visually.

       Jungshik

    P.S. : Copy is being sent to opentype list as well.