Re: EBCDIC code pages

From: Markus Scherer (markus.scherer@jtcsv.com)
Date: Mon May 12 2003 - 12:57:51 EDT

    John Cowan wrote:
    > I know that the point of codepage 1047 is that it swaps NEL and LF so
    > that mainframe Unix files see the same line-end character as mainframe
    > MVS and VM files.

    This is a feature of all EBCDIC<->ASCII/Unicode conversions on z/OS Unix System Services/Open
    Edition, compared with all other EBCDIC environments (other z/OS as well as iSeries), as far as I
    know. It is not specific to certain CCSIDs but applied systematically to all EBCDIC CCSIDs.

    This means that you need to know the platform type of your EBCDIC encoding and handle control codes
    accordingly.

    ICU 2.4 added a converter option to do this without duplicating conversion tables. Other conversion
    APIs may have different selection mechanisms.

    markus

    --
    Opinions expressed here may not reflect my company's positions unless otherwise noted.