Re: PUA glyphs in fonts (was: Is it true that Unicode is insufficient for Oriental languages?)

From: Peter_Constable@sil.org
Date: Mon May 26 2003 - 11:58:46 EDT

    "Philippe Verdy" <verdy_p@wanadoo.fr> wrote on 05/24/2003 06:47:04 PM:

    > I don't agree, most GSUB tables found in OpenType fonts use PUA
    > codepoints to remap standard Unicode characters to sequences of
    > glyphs

    Insofar as GSUB tables are processing glyph identifiers and not characters,
    this is simply not true. The fact that those fonts may happen to have the
    glyphs in question mapped from PUA codepoints in the cmap table is
    coincidental, and IMO not best practice.

    > Glyph IDs in OpenType fonts rarely need a completely
    > separate and unrelated encoding.

    What glyph IDs do not need is PUA codepoints.

    - Peter

    Peter Constable

    7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
    Tel: +1 972 708 7485