Re: PUA glyphs in fonts (was: Is it true that Unicode is insufficient for Oriental languages?)

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Mon May 26 2003 - 13:47:49 EDT

    At 08:58 AM 5/26/2003, Peter_Constable@sil.org wrote:

    > > I don't agree, most GSUB tables found in OpenType fonts use PUA
    > > codepoints to remap standard Unicode characters to sequences of
    > > glyphs
    >
    >Insofar as GSUB tables are processing glyph identifiers and not characters,
    >this is simply not true. The fact that those fonts may happen to have the
    >glyphs in question mapped from PUA codepoints in the cmap table is
    >coincidental, and IMO not best practice.

    Adobe used PUA for otherwise unencoded glyph variants in their initial OT
    fonts. They have since ceased this practice and are paddling as fast as
    they can in the opposite direction.

    John Hudson

    Tiro Typeworks www.tiro.com
    Vancouver, BC tiro@tiro.com

    If you browse in the shelves that, in American bookstores,
    are labeled New Age, you can find there even Saint Augustine,
    who, as far as I know, was not a fascist. But combining Saint
    Augustine and Stonehenge -- that is a symptom of Ur-Fascism.
                                                                 - Umberto Eco