Re: IPA Null Consonant

From: Peter_Constable@sil.org
Date: Tue May 27 2003 - 13:55:57 EDT

    Philippe Verdy wrote on 05/27/2003 11:50:39 AM:

    > Don't speak about overwriting sequences using Backspace in Unicode!

    I wasn't; I was talking about typewriters, though the comparable thing was
    done in the era of Wordstar and daisy wheel / dot matrix printers.

    > If you want an overriding slash, use now the COMBINING STROKE
    > diacritic defined in Unicode (look in the U+3XX page, I can't
    > remember the codepoint exactly but this should be U+0337 for the
    > short one normally used on small letters, or U+0338 for the long one
    > normally used on capital letters)...

    Personally, I'd rather those combining overlays dried up and faded away.

    > I note that there's another interesting diacritic which looks nearly
    > the same as what you could use: U+20E0 (A combining enclosing
    > circle with a reverse stroke) and that can be used as a spacing
    > character by encoding it after a SPACE (U+0020), but cannot be
    > confused with an O letter with stroke...

    Is this a contest to see who can come up with the worst solution?

    - Peter

    Peter Constable

    7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
    Tel: +1 972 708 7485