Re: IPA Null Consonant

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Tue May 27 2003 - 17:09:09 EDT

    From: <Peter_Constable@sil.org>
    > Philippe Verdy wrote on 05/27/2003 11:50:39 AM:
    >
    > > Don't speak about overwriting sequences using Backspace in Unicode!
    >
    > I wasn't; I was talking about typewriters, though the comparable thing was
    > done in the era of Wordstar and daisy wheel / dot matrix printers.

    I spoke about the same thing for the old version of the ISO646-FR set which standardized it (such standard has been officially removed from registries and even forbidden now in France for text processing, and now the ISO-646-FR set has only 1 official variant which remains, where BACKSPACE has no dedicated meaning for text processing as an artificial way to create combining characters, as it does not work with most text display systems).

    This old standard using Backspace specially to create overlay sequences was removed when the works on Videotex and Teletext used SS2 and SS3 control characters to explicly create and encode combining characters that could be encoded in the G1 set, and transported on 7bit systemsusing a standardized encoding form which complies to other more general standards like ISO2022.