Re: Announcement: New Unicode Savvy Logo

From: Tom Gewecke (tom@bluesky.org)
Date: Fri May 30 2003 - 11:50:48 EDT

    >> and clearly
    >> not designed to be used on the web.
    >> Their use in a page to display text clearly does not qualify, as it
    >> requires proprietary fonts to display them.
    >
    >I think that is overly restrictive. (And if the requirements for the
    >"savvy" logo are changed to rule out use of PUA, then I could imagine
    >wanting to join WO in requesting a Unicode-with-PUA logo. But I'd rather
    >not have to go there.)

    I agree. What is meant by "proprietary" fonts? There are certain Unicode
    ranges that are in any case currently only available via expensive
    proprietary fonts or fonts that may only work correctly on a particular OS.
    UTF-8 pages using PUA codepoints validate at W3C just as well as pages of
    NCR's with 8-bit charsets (which still seem dubious to me.)