Re: Rare extinct latin letters

From: Peter_Constable@sil.org
Date: Tue Jun 03 2003 - 09:39:15 EDT

    "Philippe Verdy" <verdy_p@wanadoo.fr> wrote on 06/03/2003 07:25:46 AM:

    > How do you consider the existing "hook" diacritic ?

    If you're talking about U+0309 COMBINING HOOK ABOVE, I don't think it
    normally attaches. In fact, it's combining class is 230 'above' and not 214
    'above attached'.

    > Attached
    > diacritics are already encoded. We can use them as a good fallback
    > system in their context, so that the text will e mostly readable but
    > users that are not aware of that specific usage.

    They are marginally good as a fallback. For anything beyond a fallback, the
    problems are several, and the reality is that usually there are only a
    small number of base characters anybody ever expects them to be used with.

    Now, please note that I am generalizing; there may certainly be exceptions.

    - Peter

    Peter Constable

    7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
    Tel: +1 972 708 7485