Re: Caron / Hacek?

From: Pim Blokland (pblokland@planet.nl)
Date: Thu Jun 12 2003 - 11:33:37 EDT

    António Martins-Tuválkin schreef:

    [quoting Radovan Garabik]
    >> In fact, the apostrophe form is used because there is a lack of
    >> convenient space to put carons over "tall" letters d,t,l, whereas
    >> there is no problem with n,e,r.

    Funny you should bring this subject back up. I never stopped
    wondering about why these letters suffer from lack of sufficient
    space, while the uppercase versions of these letters apparently do
    not! And how about the k with caron (U+01D9), which even the Unicode
    code chart shows with a "proper" caron instead of the apostrophe
    version.
    And if you look at the ď (U+010F) in monospaced fonts, the "lack of
    space" issue is a laugh; it's even the reverse: while this character
    would have looked nice as a d with a ˇ above it, cramming a d and a
    ' in the space normally reserved for the d looks awful.

    However, having said all this, I'm not sure it's a Unicode issue.
    What is to prevent font makers from creating fonts with glyphs that
    look like ˇ for every caron? The Unicode Consortium doesn't force
    the appearance of glyphs, only the font makers do.
    All that Unicode can do is to decompose characters like U+010F as
    0064 030C (which is what it does now). Beyond that, Unicode has no
    control over what font makers make their fonts look like.

    Pim Blokland