Re: Revised N2586R

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Mon Jun 23 2003 - 15:36:17 EDT

    At 14:03 -0400 2003-06-23, John M. Fiscella wrote:

    >And don't forget the 'radura'. The radura is to the food industry as
    >the 'biohazard' is to medical industry.

    Jeepers.

    >Yet the comments on proposing the radura by various UTC members were
    >negative. And it isn't a logo.

    http://www.extension.iastate.edu/foodsafety/rad/radura.html

    http://www.organicconsumers.org/Irrad/EPA-radura.cfm

    http://www.sare.org/htdocs/hypermail/html-home/40-html/0462.html

    http://www.fsis.usda.gov/OPPDE/larc/Irradiation_Q_&A.htm

    Documents say "mandated by the FDA" -- is it actually international?
    I don't believe I have ever seen it. Can you, heh heh, buy something
    with it on it and scan us a sample of it in use?

    Does the FDA or anyone distribute a font with this symbol in it?

    Radura is Italian for a 'glade' or 'clearing' for what that is worth.

    Depending on answers to the above, I would certainly consider popping
    the RADURA into a bucket with the DO NOT LITTER SIGN. (It still
    irritates me that Ken vetoed that one. I see it *everywhere* on
    packaging from more and more countries.)