Re: Revised N2586R

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Mon Jun 23 2003 - 17:33:23 EDT

    On Monday, June 23, 2003 10:17 PM, Michael Everson <everson@evertype.com> wrote:
    > There doesn't seem to be a NUT SYMBOL used to warn that products
    > contain nuts, though there are many, many references to Sainsbury's
    > (a British supermarket chain) labelling their peanuts "Warning:
    > Contains Nuts".

    What about the many symbols used to signal how clothes can be cleaned, or various warning signs on some products to signal the presence of a potentially dangerous component, or some risk like electric shocks, possible exposition to dangerous radiations, or the many logos use to label quality products or signal its origin, or for content rating labels used in various countries, or to markup phone numbers to some value-added services ?

    All these should be part of logo libraries, even if they are sometimes supported by custom fonts, only to ease their reuse on similar products. If we continue, we will find requests to standardize symbols for signalization on roads, waters, or railways.
    And then why not assignments for individual country codes or language codes used to annotate a text? why not then assignments for the many decorative bullets used in various publications?

    It's true that Windows has such fonts: Marlett (for the GUI interface symbols on window buttons), Wingdings and Webdings. But do they need a standardization as they appear isolately.

    All this is not needed for plain-text, but only in rich-text formats with additional markup for the layout or inclusion of logos and images, or with layout construction libraries.

    -- Philippe.