Re: Biblical Hebrew (Was: Major Defect in Combining Classes of Tibetan Vowels)

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Thu Jun 26 2003 - 12:15:34 EDT

    At 12:43 AM 6/26/2003, Peter_Constable@sil.org wrote:

    > > The problem of combinations of vowels with meteg could be
    > > amenable to a similar approach. OR, one could propose just
    > > one additional meteq/silluq character, to make it possible
    > > to distinguish (in plain text) instances of left-side and
    > > right-side meteq placement, for example.
    >
    >And the third position of meteg with hataf vowels? Introduce *two*
    >additional meteg/silluq characters?

    No, that's a glyph ligation matter however you look at it. It could be made
    to work with either just a left meteg or also with a new right meteg, and
    can be inhibited with ZWNJ. This is not to say that I think encoding a
    distinct right meteg character is the best solution, only that it doesn't
    affect the medial meteg shaping.

    John Hudson

    Tiro Typeworks www.tiro.com
    Vancouver, BC tiro@tiro.com

    If you browse in the shelves that, in American bookstores,
    are labeled New Age, you can find there even Saint Augustine,
    who, as far as I know, was not a fascist. But combining Saint
    Augustine and Stonehenge -- that is a symptom of Ur-Fascism.
                                                                 - Umberto Eco