Re: Biblical Hebrew (Was: Major Defect in Combining Classes of Tibetan Vowels)

From: John Cowan (jcowan@reutershealth.com)
Date: Fri Jun 27 2003 - 12:56:57 EDT

    Michael Everson scripsit:

    > And sometimes not, then. What four characters have been corrected so
    > far? Were they "important" characters to some company? Are there no
    > Christians or Jews in the IETF who might care about a problem like
    > this, where a simple solution might be effected? Particularly if it
    > involves only a handful of characters, and the precedent for making
    > such corrections has been set?

    Every time your grip slips on the rope, that sets a precedent which will
    in time tend to end up with you at the bottom of the mountain. The hard way.
    So far we have corrected U+FB1D YOD WITH HIRIQ and six Han ideographs,
    U+F951, U+2F868, U+2F874, U+2F91F, U+2F95F, U+2F9BF.

    > This is not analogous to the present situation, it seems to me. In
    > the first place, what else is the \ for? :-)

    Escaping special characters, since you ask.

    --
    John Cowan  jcowan@reutershealth.com  www.ccil.org/~cowan  www.reutershealth.com
    "If he has seen farther than others,