Re: Yerushala(y)im - or Biblical Hebrew

From: John Cowan (jcowan@reutershealth.com)
Date: Mon Jul 07 2003 - 14:01:20 EDT

    Ted Hopp scripsit:

    > I think we need to keep Peter Constable's point in mind that current usage
    > should not define the limits of Unicode functionality. Since the principle
    > is that all sequences of character codes are permitted (2.10), it seems
    > wrong to supply a fix for only "the small number of attested sequences".

    Well, that's true up to a point, but only up to a point. Tomorrow someone
    may conceive a need to express Tibetan using Hebrew vowel points instead of
    Tibetan vowel signs, whilst keeping the Tibetan consonants, but he
    should not complain if neither rendering nor syllabication works properly.
    As UTR #11 says on a related point, there simply is no traditional Japanese
    way of typesetting Devanagari.

    --
    John Cowan  www.ccil.org/~cowan  www.reutershealth.com  jcowan@reutershealth.com
    "'My young friend, if you do not now, immediately and instantly, pull