Re: Yerushala(y)im - or Biblical Hebrew

From: Peter Kirk (peter.r.kirk@ntlworld.com)
Date: Mon Jul 07 2003 - 14:51:46 EDT

    On 07/07/2003 11:01, John Cowan wrote:

    >Well, that's true up to a point, but only up to a point. Tomorrow someone
    >may conceive a need to express Tibetan using Hebrew vowel points instead of
    >Tibetan vowel signs, whilst keeping the Tibetan consonants, but he
    >should not complain if neither rendering nor syllabication works properly.
    >As UTR #11 says on a related point, there simply is no traditional Japanese
    >way of typesetting Devanagari.

    But there are traditional American, British, German etc ways of
    typesetting Hebrew. Also a surprising number of languages have been
    written in Hebrew script at various times. Elaine Keown had a site
    listing them, but it seems to be down at the moment. Given the large
    number of minority groups now in Israel, the number of such languages
    might still increase. Hopefully they would use the Hebrew script
    sensibly, but I would hate to have to design a Hebrew script orthography
    for a NE Caucasian language with a huge number of vowels. Fortunately I
    don't think there is any Jewish community which speaks such a language.
    There are Judeo-Georgians (thoroughly European whether in Georgia or in
    Israel) who may want to use Hebrew script, but Georgian has a
    multiplicity of consonants rather than of vowels.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter.r.kirk@ntlworld.com