When is a character a currency sign?

From: Tex Texin (tex@i18nguy.com)
Date: Mon Jul 07 2003 - 15:03:50 EDT

    I had a couple people comment on the currency page that U+5186 is not a yen
    sign but a character.

    I see it used regularly as a currency symbol instead of U+00A5.

    Is there a distinction between the two?

    When is a character properly called a currency sign?

    The page has had a number of updates over the weekend. Thanks for the many
    comments.
    http://www.xencraft.com/resources/multi-currency.html

    Tex

    Making e-Business Work Around the World