Re: Ligatures in Turkish and Azeri, was: Accented ij ligatures

From: Peter Kirk (peter.r.kirk@ntlworld.com)
Date: Fri Jul 11 2003 - 09:50:11 EDT

    On 11/07/2003 05:56, Philippe Verdy wrote:

    >>>Note also: the Soft_Dotted property was created and considered
    >>>specially for Turkish and Azeri.

    Whatever it was that was specially created or adjusted for Turkish and
    Azeri, was it specifically restricted to these two languages? These are
    I think the only relatively major languages which use the special dotted
    and dotless i case mappings. But they are also used, at least in a small
    way, for minority languages of Turkey and Azerbaijan. (Use of these
    minority languages in Turkey is illegal, but that's another matter.)
    They were used in the 1930's for many Central Asian languages, and were
    at least proposed in the 1990's for newly introduced Latin alphabets. So
    I hope that what is fixed by Unicode is the name not of two languages
    but of an extensible family of scripts.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter.r.kirk@ntlworld.com