Re: Ligatures in Turkish and Azeri, was: Accented ij ligatures

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Fri Jul 11 2003 - 11:51:44 EDT

    On Friday, July 11, 2003 3:50 PM, Peter Kirk <peter.r.kirk@ntlworld.com> wrote:
    > So I hope that what is fixed by Unicode is the name not
    > of two languages but of an extensible family of scripts.

    I think you speak about family of languages?

    Good luck with ISO language codes which does not even
    define them, and contain many duplicate codes even in
    the Alpha-2 space (he/iw, in/id), or unprecize codes
    matching sometimes very imprecize families of languages
    overlapping other language codes...

    Until it is demonstrated that a language needs such fix
    in Unicode support tables, it's best to just say that these
    fixes are needed for some recognized language codes and
    that applications are allowed to add their own "fixes" or
    language tailorings, and that the existing language
    tailorings in Unicode databases are just non-normative
    samples.

    -- Philippe.