Re: About the European MES-2 subset

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Sat Jul 19 2003 - 07:55:31 EDT

    At 16:41 -0700 2003-07-18, Michael \(michka\) Kaplan wrote:
    >I am pretty sure you have to be wrong here, Michael. Attend me:
    >
    >1) API converts from Unicode to the wrong code page
    >2) API does some sort of work with the string
    >3) API tries to display the string
    >
    >How on earth could it from the Last Resort font, unless it is a generic
    >glyph that contains no script info (which would be no better than a question
    >mark or a NULL glyph) ?

    Hm. See http://developer.apple.com/fonts/LastResortFont/ where it
    shows glyphs for "illegal" characters (FFFE/FFFF etc.) as well as
    "undefined" characters (valid code positions which have not been
    assigned). I thought somehow that there was a glyph for "broken"
    characters (characters that were just plain wrong) as well.