Re: Yerushala(y)im - or Biblical Hebrew

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Tue Jul 22 2003 - 16:59:02 EDT

    At 04:36 AM 7/22/2003, Peter Kirk wrote:

    >These both explain the problem in some detail. They also propose
    >alternative combining classes for the Hebrew vowels without actually
    >proposing that the existing Unicode definitions should be changed.

    It should be noted that the alternative combining classes proposed in this
    document are for developers who want to do custom normalisation in a
    controlled text processing environment, with all the expected caveats about
    the classes being non-standard. A solution that works flawlessly to both
    encode and render Biblical Hebrew text is going to take a while (the
    proposed control character insertion model breaks current rendering
    implementations -- not sure why, but I'm looking into it). In the meantime,
    we have users who want to work with a typeface that can correctly render
    the entire Biblia Hebraica text in current apps, and developers who want to
    do normalisation in search queries in their software. The alternative
    combining classes are a hack that permits this while we await a definitive
    encoding solution from the UTC and updates to rendering implementations.

    John Hudson

    Tiro Typeworks www.tiro.com
    Vancouver, BC tiro@tiro.com

    The sight of James Cox from the BBC's World at One,
    interviewing Robin Oakley, CNN's man in Europe,
    surrounded by a scrum of furiously scribbling print
    journalists will stand for some time as the apogee of
    media cannibalism.
                             - Emma Brockes, at the EU summit