Re: Yerushala(y)im - or Biblical Hebrew

From: Peter Kirk (peter.r.kirk@ntlworld.com)
Date: Wed Jul 23 2003 - 12:57:39 EDT

    On 23/07/2003 08:12, Peter_Constable@sil.org wrote:

    >Unicode does not ever oblige developers to implement support for any given
    >character, including CGJ. ...

    OK. But note that I put "implement" in quotes. The level of
    implementation I am looking for is simply to ignore CGJ or delete it
    from the renderer's input stream. And there does seem to be an
    obligation at least to ignore "default ignorable" characters if they are
    not more specifically implemented, according to the first two paragraphs
    of http://www.unicode.org/review/pr-5.html. OK, the word used is
    "should"; in the context of a standard, should "should" be taken as
    giving an obligation or only a recommendation? "Default ignorable" is
    listed as a normative property in Unicode 4.0 (prepublication) section
    3.5 table 3-1, in http://www.unicode.org/book/preview/ch03.pdf, but this
    refers to the unpublished section 5.20.

    --
    Peter Kirk