Re: Yerushala(y)im - or Biblical Hebrew

From: Peter_Constable@sil.org
Date: Tue Jul 29 2003 - 13:52:31 EDT

    Peter Kirk wrote on 07/29/2003 09:22:35 AM:

    > Or is markup
    > being suggested as a solution of the Yerushala(y)im issue? If so I fail
    > to see how it addresses the problem, as markup does not inhibit
    > normalisation.

    The markup-based solution would have to be something like

    yerushal<ai>ai</ai>m

    which would normalize to

    yerushal<ai>ia</ai>m

    Alternate tags such as <ReverseCanonicalOrder> would, of course, be
    possible.) Thus, it would be the markup that determined the "a(y)i"
    semantics and rendering, not the characters themselves.

    A variation (assuming that canonical ordering does not occur around markup
    tags), might be something like

    yerushala<CanonicalOrderingBlock>

    - Peter

    Peter Constable

    7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
    Tel: +1 972 708 7485