Re: From [b-hebrew] Variant forms of vav with holem

From: John Cowan (cowan@mercury.ccil.org)
Date: Thu Jul 31 2003 - 08:28:27 EDT

    Bertrand Laidain scripsit:

    > No sorry, you're right about YIVO, I made a confusion with "beys" and
    > "veys". But the second part of the sentence is still valid...

    It is kind of strange that YIVO decided to use both pe-dagesh and pe-rafe,
    but never plain pe ("jam yesterday and jam tomorrow", etc.) except in
    Hebrew borrowings. I guess they were dealing with a situation where
    some people had used plain pe for /p/ and others for /f/ and there was
    no clear majority preference.

    --
    Eric Raymond is the Margaret Mead               John Cowan
    of the Open Source movement.                    jcowan@reutershealth.com