Re: compatibility characters (in XML context)

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Sun Nov 16 2003 - 23:59:38 EST

    D. Starner <shalesller at writeme dot com> wrote:

    >> Perhaps a bit off topic but while U+FE73 is made completely useless
    >> by modern computer font techniques and would be only found in legacy
    >> data, the U+2500..U+257F block may have legitimate typographycal use
    >> nowadays, wouldn't it?
    >
    > Outside of monospaced text (which isn't really a legitimate
    > typographical use), you can't use it with variable length characters.
    > So it's possible to make limited line art with it, but unless you're
    > showing off, illustrations are much more useful.

    I suspect Frank da Cruz will come along and say this much more
    eloquently, but:

    There is still a place in the world for monospaced plain text documents,
    and such documents certainly could benefit from the Box Drawing block,
    the Unicode equivalent of "ASCII art." Not everything is a Web page
    displayed in Arial with embedded graphics.

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California
     http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/