RE: no more precomposed characters for 1:1 conversion

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Tue Dec 02 2003 - 07:32:12 EST

    Arcane Jill writes:
    > Forgive my ignorance.
    > What is ICU?
    > (I like to know what something is before I download it).

    This is a free implementation of algorithms for internationalization
    including Unicode. See:
    http://oss.software.ibm.com/icu/
    Quote:
    "The International Components for Unicode (ICU) libraries provide robust and
    full-featured Unicode services on a wide variety of platforms. ICU supports
    the most current version of the Unicode standard, and they provide support
    for supplementary Unicode characters (needed for GB 18030 repertoire
    support)."

    It is available either as a C/C++ library, or a pure Java library. There's
    also an equivalent Java integration library based on the C/C++ version
    (through Java JNI interface) for faster performance.

    << ella for Spam Control >> has removed Spam messages and set aside
    Newsletters for me
    You can use it too - and it's FREE! http://www.ellaforspam.com