Re: no more precomposed characters for 1:1 conversion

From: Peter Jacobi (peter_jacobi@gmx.net)
Date: Tue Dec 02 2003 - 08:30:07 EST

    Hi Markus,

    Markus Scherer <markus.scherer@jtcsv.com> wrote:
    > ICU 2.8 has the ability to handle m:n character conversion mappings driven
    > by simple lines in
    > Unicode conversion tables (text files).

    That's a nice coiincidence, to have this feature. I was wondering
    if this would enable transcoding from legacy Tamil charsets (in visual
    glyph order, like Thai) to Unicode.

    I've looked at the example data files for the m:n mappings but
    it's still opaque to me, what hat to go in the headers. Is there a
    point to start reading from to gain further insights?

    I'm especially wondering, whether the converter by default will
    take the longest matching entry in an m:n table or whether
    to sequence of entries is significant. (Something must be done
    to e.g. disambiguate keLa from kau).

    Regards,
    Peter Jacobi